Monday, May 4, 2009

Spontaneous sharing of insights and ideas

We asked Toni-Ann Mills of Fenwal, Inc.: How did you get started in social media? What is your favorite social media platform (what do you like to do)?

I got started in social media because I was looking for an efficient way to have brief and ongoing connections with colleagues at work and elsewhere. Social Media goes beyond the bonds of more formal methods and so opens up opportunities for the spontaneous sharing of insights and ideas. I particularly like the global aspects of most of the platforms I use and the ease with which I can converse and share materials with others on a global basis. It is very difficult to pick just one platform. I have personally found blogs to be a great place to store information and then be able to reflect on growth and change and take on board the feedback and input of others. I use several instant messaging programs to make quick contact with others – especially when I want to give a less formal aspect to the conversations. Youtube provides a wealth of examples for training purposes and Wikis give me a feeling of having personal access to the brain power of many. I use Facebook, Myspace and photosharing programs for staying touch with family and friends in the USA and Australia.

In the work environment we find the social media aspects of SharePoint – blogs, workflows, personal and group pages, team discussions, calendars etc have spurred all of us to do better more easily.

I am sold on the value of social media because it is within the reach of everyone, it is easy to use and it provides the most up-to-date information and communications.

Hear Toni-Ann on Tuesday, June 9th at http://www.iqpc.com/Event.aspx?id=178796.

No comments:

Post a Comment